Configure backup schedules and settings for computers at global, individual computer, and group level.
Go to Backup > Computers and click to view and manage backup settings and schedules. You can also edit/manage the backup settings of a specific group/computer by clicking corresponding to the required computer/group.
Configure the following parameters in the Backup settings slider:
- Select backup category: Choose the appropriate option from the dropdown to modify: global, group, or computer settings. By default, global settings will be selected. To apply settings to an individual computer or group, select the appropriate option from the dropdown.
- Global settings apply to all computers that are not a part of a group (including any newly added computer that is not assigned to a group).
- The backup settings applied to a group will also apply to the associated computers. In case you want to configure a computer’s backup setting differently, you will need to remove the computer from the group.
- Schedule backup: Set the desired interval between two consecutive backups of a computer from the Set backup interval dropdown. Schedule your backups daily or on weekdays/weekends and set the start and end time for the backup.
Note: Start time and End time are soft cut-offs. The actual start and end time are dependent on the ongoing tasks.
- Volumes: Set the volumes you wish to backup as All or select Custom and specify the volumes you want to backup.
Note: Take care to specify the correct volumes for backup, especially when modifying global or group settings for backup. If you specify the volumes that do not exist, the backup will fail.
- Backup retention settings: Use the slider to set the minimum and the maximum number of image backups that the device should retain for a computer.
- Performance: You may choose to select Don't limit and allow full network access or select Limit to and set a limit on the local network usage during backup.
- Force a full image backup after every: Specify the interval for forcing a full image backup (Periodic forced full backups are recommended to maintain a healthy chain of backups).
Click Save Changes to save any edits made to the backup settings.
Advanced backup settings
Go to Backup > Computers and click to view the Advanced backup settings slider. Configure the following settings related to network utilization:
- Max simultaneous backups: You can simultaneously backup multiple computers via the IDrive BMR device. However, the higher the number of simultaneous backups, the longer the time required to complete the backups. By setting the Max simultaneous backups according to your network speed and ongoing operations, you can control the network bandwidth usage and ensure the timely completion of backup operations.
Note: A range of 2 to 3 simultaneous backups is recommended for optimal backup performance and time.
- Max recently active computers: Manage your local storage space by specifying a limit on the number of active computers, when adding a new computer to the IDrive BMR device.
- The Max recently active computers limit is applicable only when adding a new computer to the IDrive BMR device. Even if one or more inactive computers come online and the limit is exceeded, the backup operations will continue as usual.
- A computer that has been offline for longer than 2 months is considered inactive.
- Max local network backup speed: Select the Don’t limit radio button to allow unrestricted network bandwidth for backups. In case the backups are scheduled during daily operations, you can use the Limit to radio button and set the local network bandwidth for backup.